- Beginner Category is V0-V2
- Intermediate Category is V3-V4
- Advanced Category is V5-V6
- Open Category is V7+ (Open competitors ONLY may choose to compete in morning.)
Structure & Scoring Breakdown:
Note: This page is to register for The Empire Series which takes place in the afternoon of November 16th. If you’re looking to sign up for the College Comp on the morning of the 16th, please follow this link to register.
The Empire Series is a four part bouldering competition series. These events will take place in Buffalo on September 21st, Syracuse on October 12th, Rochester on November 16th, and again in Buffalo on December 14th. One can participate in one event or multiple. Prizes will be awarded to the winners of the Men’s and Women’s Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Open categories at each individual event! Those participating in multiple events and placing in 1st cumulatively for Men’s and Women’s Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced will have the additional opportunity to win a 1 year membership. Whether you’ve been climbing for a month or for decades, the Empire Series is a great way to challenge yourself this fall/winter.
- 9/21-Buffalo Competition Registration
- 10/12- Syracuse Competition Registration
- 11/16- Rochester Competition Registration BELOW
- 12/14-Buffalo Final Competition Registration
Sequence of the Competition:
- 1:30pm-2pm: Rules meeting
- 2pm-5pm: Redpoint round
- 5pm-7pm: Intermission
- 930pm-10pm: Awards ceremony with prizes
- Central Rock Gym Rochester will prepare 50 boulder problems wherein all competitors will be scored for any problems completed in the competition. Competitors will enter the round with the goal of completing the highest value problems. A competitor’s final score shall be the cumulative value of his/her top 5 completed problems. All competitor’s scores will be compared and natural divisions will be used to create the categories of Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. The top 3 participants in each of these 3 categories, for men and for women, will receive prices and recognition.
- If you climb V7+ you will enter into the Open category upon registration (below). If you are competing in the Open category you may opt to compete in the morning during the USAC Collegiate competition between 9am and 1pm.
- The Open category (V7+) will have a Finals Round with an onsight format. There will be four finals boulders for both male and female competitors. Finalists will be kept in isolation and will come out one at a time to attempt their climbs. They will have 4 minutes to complete each boulder. These climbs will have zone scoring, 5, 10, 15, 25(top). The farther you progress in the climb the more zones you will achieve, thus reaching a higher score. Each fall will deduct .1 point from your total. At the end of the four boulders the competitor with the highest amount of points wins.
- If you are not competing in the Open category, you’ll be in the Citizens category (register below) which encompasses the Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced categories. Competitor’s scores will be tallied and competitors will be automatically placed in either Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced, depending on score.
- The Finals round is entertaining to watch! All participants, members and spectators are welcome to come watch and lend encouragement to our finalists as they test themselves against some of the best and diverse boulders our route setting team has to offer!
*NOTE FOR COLLEGIATE COMP CLIMBERS: If you are also competing in the Collegiate Competition in Rochester on the morning of November 16th, please use the USAC page to register for one or both competitions. Collegiate climbers may use their Collegiate Comp scores as their Empire Series scores.
Gym Closures for the Empire Series:
Ropes (Closed for Collegiate Competition Reset):
Sunday November 3rd-Sunday November 10th- Zones 4-6 (See Gym Map for Zones)
*This Zone will re-open on Sunday November 10th. These routes will be open to the public but NOT to those competing in the Collegiate Competition on November 16th.
Boulders (Closed for Collegiate and Empire Series Competition Resets):
Monday November 11th-Friday November 16th- Zones 1-6 (See Gym Map for Zones)
Tuesday November 12th-Friday November 16th- Zones 7-8 (See Gym Map for Zones)
*A large section of boulders will be closed during these dates. No exceptions will be made to climb in these areas before the competitions. We apologize for the inconvenience. During this time we will be offering additional Top Rope Belay Classes as well as No Partner, No Problem. For details and times please see our class schedule, call or stop in.
**On the day of the competition, Saturday November 16th, the entire gym will be closed to the general public as well as members, unless you are competing or spectating the competition.
These Limited edition Empire T-Shirts will be available for purchase upon registration! Not registering for the competition but want a shirt? Call or visit our desk staff to pre-order yours today!