- Beginner Category is V0-V2
- Intermediate Category is V3-V4
- Advanced Category is V5-V6
- Open Category is V7+
Structure & Scoring Breakdown:
The Empire Series is a four part bouldering competition series. These independent events will take place in Buffalo on September 21st, Syracuse on October 12th, Rochester on November 16th, and culminating in a final round in Buffalo on December 14th. One can participate in one event or multiple. Prizes will be awarded to winners of Men’s and Women’s Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Open categories at each individual event! Those participating in multiple events and placing in 1st cumulatively for Men’s and Women’s Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced will have the additional opportunity to win a 1 year membership. Whether you’ve been climbing for a month or for decades, the Empire Series is a great way to challenge yourself this fall/winter.
- 9/21-Buffalo Competition Registration
- 10/12- Syracuse Competition Registration
- 11/16- Rochester Competition Registration BELOW
- 12/14-Buffalo Final CompeSetition Registration
Sequence of the Competition:
- Rules meeting
- Redpoint round
- Awards ceremony with prizes
- Central Rock Gym Rochester will prepare 50 boulder problems wherein all competitors will be scored for any problems completed in the competition. Competitors will enter the round with the goal of completing the highest value problems. A competitor’s final score shall be the cumulative value of his/her top 5 completed problems. All competitor’s scores will be compared and natural divisions will be used to create the categories of Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. The top 3 participants in each of these 3 categories, for men and for women, will receive prices and recognition.
- If you climb grades V7 and harder you will enter into the Open category upon registration (below). All other climbers will enter into the Citizens category. Finals are reserved for the top 6 Open competitors for both male and female.
- The finals round will have an onsight format. There will be four finals boulders for both male and female competitors. Finalists will be kept in isolation and will come out one at a time to attempt their climbs. They will have 4 minutes to complete each boulder. These climbs will have zone scoring, 5, 10, 15, 25(top). The farther you progress in the climb the more zones you will achieve, thus reaching a higher score. Each fall will deduct .1 point from your total. At the end of the four boulders the competitor with the highest amount of points wins.
- The Finals round is entertaining to watch! All participants, members and spectators are welcome to come watch and lend encouragement to our finalists as they test themselves against some of the best and diverse boulders our route setting team has to offer!
These Limited edition Empire T-Shirts will be available for purchase upon registration! Not registering for the competition but want a shirt? Call or visit our desk staff to pre-order yours today!