- Are dogs allowed?
- Are kids allowed?
- Do I need a waiver?
- I have never been climbing before, what are my options?
- What types of climbing are available?
- What is “belaying” and how do I learn?
- Do you have auto-belays?
- Do I have to take a belay class in order to climb?
- How much does it cost?
- What types of memberships are offered?
- Do you have any youth activities?
- How young is too young to start climbing?
- Do I have to sign up for classes or can I just show up?
- What kind of instruction is offered at CRG?
- How do I set up private lessons?
- What do you offer besides climbing?
- What should I wear?
- How do I get to your facility?
- Do you have WiFi?
- Do you have lockers?
Are dogs allowed?
Yes! Our facility is dog friendly before noon on weekdays. Our dog policy is as follows:
- Dogs must be leashed to the wheels of one of our cubbies.
- Dogs are not allowed on the pads.
- We ask that all dogs be walked and given the opportunity to use the restroom.
- If a dog becomes disruptive to our other clientele, the dog and owner may be asked to leave the facility by our staff.
Are kids allowed?
Yes! We love having kids in the gym but to make sure everyone stays safe was have limited hours for children under the age of 14. Parental supervision required.
Mondays – Friday: Kids age 12 and under are welcome until 6pm.
Saturday & Sunday: Kids age 12 and under are welcome until 3pm.
Please note that children under the age of 8yrs. are not permitted to Boulder.
Children under the age of 8 may Boulder if they meet one of the following criteria:
- They are part of a family membership and are climbing with the adult member
- They are participating in a youth program (breakfast club, etc)
- They are taking a private lesson with a CRG Staff Instructor
Back to Index
Do I need a waiver?
Yes, you need a waiver! Climbing is an inherently dangerous sport. We go to great lengths to make our facilities as safe as possible to ensure that patrons of the facility encounter as little risk as possible. That being said,we require a waiver from every visitor to the gym in order to stay in operation and for insurance purposes.
All customers under the age of 18 MUST have a waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian. Grandparents, siblings, and teachers do not count.Back to Index
I have never been climbing before, what are my options?
You have a number of options!
- You can climb on our bouldering walls. Bouldering does not require ropes, instead it focuses on shorter walls (10 – 14 feet tall) with significantly more padding on the ground. No classes or partners are required for this style of climbing.
- If you are interested in climbing on roped walls, our Top Rope Sampler allows each participant to climb two unique routes on our tall walls. Participants will be belayed by one of our friendly staff members. All gear is included. Available 4pm-6pm on Weekdays. Space is limited so pre-registration is recommended.
- If you decide to become a member, we have FREE introductory courses that can teach you basic climbing techniques and how to belay on our top rope walls.
What types of climbing are available?
We have bouldering and top-rope climbing at our facility.
- Bouldering is a low wall (10-16 feet) that uses large mats to fall on for protection instead of ropes and a belay system. There is no class or certification required for this type of climbing.
- Top-rope climbing requires that climbers know how to belay and tie proper knots. It involves climbing while wearing a harness, attached to a rope which is wrapped around an anchor at the rope of the wall, with someone attached on the other end who is managing the rope safely, in a way that does not permit you to fall to the ground. The person on the ground is known as the belayer. The top-rope walls are members only Weekdays from 6pm-Close and Weekends from 2pm-Close.
- Anyone who is belaying needs to take a belay test or a belay class. For the belay test you must be able to show competency in tying the proper climbing knot and performing the belay procedure without assistance from staff. Belay classes are offered on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and are free for members.
What is “belaying” and how do I learn?
Belaying is the process of managing the rope so that the person climbing does not fall to the ground when coming off the climbing wall. Belayers are also responsible for lowering the climber safely to the ground. We provide members a 1-hour instructional class on belaying throughout the week. For more information on this program see our belay class schedule. Please be aware that you must be 13 years of age or older to belay at CRG facilities.Back to Index
Do you have auto-belays?
We have 2 auto-belays stations set up in our rope climbing area at the front of the gym. All customers must be certified by a staff member regarding usage of the auto-belayers prior to being allowed to use them. Anyone under the age of 14 MUST be accompanied and clipped in by an adult.Back to Index
Do I have to take a belay class in order to climb?
If you are an experienced climber and know the PLUS belay method than we have a simple test you can do to show you are competent with the process. If you do not know how to belay you will need to take a class. And please keep in mind that watching a YouTube video about belaying is an extremely unsafe substitute to taking a class and will likely result in failing the belay test. If you only want to boulder then no class is required.Back to Index
How much does it cost?
There are several options for you to choose from and each one has a different price. Please visit our rates section for the gym you are visiting for more information, and look for our daily specials and memberships!Back to Index
What types of memberships are offered?
All Central Rock Gym facilities offer monthly memberships to the gym and are priced such that 4 or more trips to the gym on a monthly basis makes it beneficial to sign up. Our membership policies are the best in the business too! There are no start-up fees, the only commitment is pro-rated dues for the remainder of the month plus 1 full month of dues. And there are no cancellation fees.
Check out the membership page under “Pricing” to see everything our memberships have to offer.Back to Index
Do you have any youth activities?
Absolutely! We have a section of our gym dedicated to child friendly climbing. These walls are shorter in height, making it easier to communicate between the climber and belayer, and making the climber feel more comfortable in a unique environment. If you do not know how to belay, you will need to make a reservation with an instructor in order to make use of these walls.
We also offer programs that are geared toward children including our Breakfast Club program, vacation camps, and Staff Belay. For more information about our options click on “Kids” on the navigation menu.
Kids Climbing is restricted to before 6pm on Weekdays and before 3pm on Weekends.
Back to Index
How young is too young to start climbing?
The short answer is they are never too young! However, it is a case by case basis as to whether they are physically mature enough to climb, but there are many visitors who frequently climb at our facilities as early as 3 years old. If they can fit in our smallest young harnesses then we’d be happy to get them climbing!Back to Index
Do I have to sign up for classes or can I just show up?
Pre-registration is HIGHLY recommended. Classes are very popular and they fill up fast. We also have a waiting list that you can request to go on if the class is full.Back to Index
What kind of instruction is offered at CRG?
We offer our members an entire series of classes geared toward both novice and experienced climbers, including technique classes, instructional clinics, and fitness classes. For more information about our classes click on the “Climbing” section on the navigation menu.Back to Index
How do I set up private lessons?
Private sessions can be scheduled on a case by case basis with one of our instructors. Please contact Jim at email@example.com to inquire about private instruction.Back to Index
What do you offer besides climbing?
The main focus of CRG Manhattan is climbing. We do have some additional fitness equipment including a Rogue Cage and free weights available.Back to Index
What should I wear?
Wear something that you are comfortable moving around in. We suggest flexible pants and something that is not too baggy. It is recommended that you wear shorts or pants that do not need a belt. Think: Phys. Ed Class. We have all of the gear you need for climbing, so no need to worry about that part! Just make sure you bring socks to wear with our rental shoes.
If you are joining us for a birthday party please wear laced sneakers as we do not give out rental shoes for parties.Back to Index
How do I get to your facility?
Just head to the “Locations” page in the top right corner of the site to see a map of our entire chain of gyms. Or click on the gym address anywhere it appears on the website to get directions to that location.Back to Index
Do you have WiFi?
We have FREE WiFi at our facility!Back to Index
Do you have lockers?
We provide lockers at our facility for your convenience. Our lockers are equipped with combination locks that users may modify themselves, so no need to bring a lock! We take no liability for lost/stolen items so it is recommended that all valuables (wallets/keys/computers) are locked up. Lockers are for day use only.Back to Index